From the Annual Report of the Street Laying Out Department for the Year 1894:
Hancock Street, Dorchester, 1840; from Dudley Street, at Upham's Corner, to Eaton Square, at junction of Adams Street and Bowdoin Street.
Modern Notes: Hancock Street now begins at Columbia Road and ends at Dorchester Avenue. Columbia Road took over the section leading to Dudley Street, Bowdoin Street the section leading from Kane Square to Eaton Square. Hancock Street was also the site of the Dorchester Almshouse.
Edited on 30 November 2005 to include the following:
Hancock Street looked a little different in the late 19th century. The
Capt. Eaton house is on the left and the Shehond house, Howe house, and
Asa Davenport house on the right. The viewer would have been standing
at about the intersection of Bowdoin Street and Hancock Street although
in the 19th century, Hancock was called Commercial Street.
[illustration and text courtesy of the Dorchester Illustration of the Day email list]