Index of All Streets
*Beach Street, B., 1708; from 674 Washington Street to Atlantic Avenue; formerly from Washington Street to Federal Street; from Orange (now Washington) Street, east, to the water, 1708; from Orange Street across Rainsford lane (later Front Street, now Harrison Avenue), 1817; extended east from Front Street to Lincoln Street conditionally, Sept. 5, 1836; same part accepted, Oct. 16, 1837; extended from Lincoln Street to Broad (now Federal) Street, Oct. 31, 1837; portion from Cove Street to Federal Street discontinued by being taken by the Boston Terminal Co., under chapter 516 of the Acts of 1896; later Cove Street laid out over part of this former location, April 8, 1897. L 13,-L 380, L 616, L 760, L 1021, L 1447, L 2822, L 3936.
Beach Street, B., 1804; the eastern extremity of Essex Street, then so called.
*Beach Street, Dor., 1857; from 255 Freeport Street to Park Street; accepted, July 20, 1857; relocated from Park Street northwesterly for a distance of about 300 feet, by decree of Superior Court, Oct. 12, 1907, acting under authority of chapter 111 of the Revised Statutes and chapter 440 of the Acts of 1902. L 651.
*Beach Street, W. Rox.; Beech Street, sometimes so called.
*Beach Street, Chsn., 1870; from 561 Medford Street to the B. & M. R. R.; called lane to Johnson's wharf in deed, March 27, 1820; called "town-way to river" on plan dated 1837; no record of naming same; name first appears in 1870. L 1193. Beacham Street, Chsn. 1870. from 621 Main Street to Mystic river; formerly from southwest of West Street to Mystic river; laid out and accepted, from about 100 feet southwest of West Street to Arlington Avenue, June 24, 1872; extended to Main Street, Aug. 31, 1897. L 2891, L 3274, L 3341.
*Beachmont Avenue, E. B., 1888; from Ashley Avenue parallel with the B., R. B. & L. R. R. to Revere line; Atlantic Avenue and Butler Avenue, from Revere line to Saratoga Street; laid out with name of Beachmont Avenue, April 17, 1887; laying out made void on account of Railroad Commissioners refusing to confirm location at grade over the tracks of the B., R. B. & L. R. R.; Atlantic Avenue laid out with the name of Beachmont Avenue, July 25, 1888; Bennington Street extended over Beachmont Avenue, June 27, 1899. L 2042, L 2043, L 2044, L 2081, L 2082, L 3140, L3141.
Beacon hill, B.; the present site of the State House; formerly Centry, Centuary, or Sentry hill; on Dec. 28, 1752, the Selectmen, having searched the Town Records, find that the hill on which the beacon stands, and which is the property of the Town, is six rods square, and the highway leading up to it from the Common, between land of John Alford and of Thomas Hancock, is 30 feet in width the whole length; recorded in Town Records, Jan. 16, 1753.
Beacon-hill place, B., 1847; from Bowdoin Street to Mt. Vernon Street; included in the grounds of the State House, March 13, 1893. Suffolk Deeds, Lib. 2124, fol. 507.
Beacon-hill Street, B.; called Bowdoin place, 1820.
*Beacon Street, B. and Bri., 1708; from 65 Tremont Street over Beacon hill, passing the Common, and over the former Mill-dam of the Boston and Roxbury Mill Corporation and through the marshes, formerly part of Brookline, to boundary line of Brookline at St. Mary's Street; "from near present corner of. Beacon and .Somerset Streets, westerly, through the upper side of the Common and so down to the sea," 1708; the part of the present ;Beacon Street, from Tremont Street to a point near corner of Beacon Street and Somerset Street, formed part of School Street, 1708; School Street called South Latin School Street, 1789; said part of School Street included in Beacon Street, 1803 (no record of such change); the Mill-dam from Charles Street to Sewall's point, in Brookline, projected in 1813; Boston and Roxbury Mill Corporation incorporated and authorized to build same in 1814; Mill-dam begun in 1818, completed and opened to travel, July 2, 1821, road over same being called Western Avenue; part of Western Avenue from Charles Street, west, about 690 feet to channel accepted, Sept. 19, 1831, but no record of naming this part of Beacon Street; land covered by the Mill-dam released by the Boston and Roxbury Mill Corporation to the Commonwealth by indenture of June 9, 1854," to be forever kept open as a public highway"; other parts of Western Avenue have been accepted from time to time, usually upon condition, and deeds to comply with condition, all recorded III Suffolk Registry, have been given as follows: Part from part already accepted, Sept. 19, 1831, to (Otter) Street accepted and named Beacon Street, conditionally, April 21, 1857, deed Lib. 716, fo1. 227; part of Beacon Street, between Otter Street and Avenue A (not identified) accepted, conditionally, June 23, 1857. part between Otter Street and "west end of new block of freestone front houses" (a point about 343 feet west from Otter Street) accepted and named Beacon Street, conditionally, May 27, 1858 deed Lib. 738 fo1. 82. part between (George P.) Upham's house (west corner thereof 342 feet west from Otter Street) and a point distant 140 feet westerly from the southwest corner of Berkeley Street accepted, conditionally, and named Beacon Street, Oct. 30, 1861, deed Lib. 829, fol. 3; part between Berkeley Street and Clarendon Street accepted, conditionally, . Dec. 23, 1862, deeds Lib. 829, fol. 3, and Lib. 867, fol. 239; same part accepted and named Beacon Street, May 26, 1863; part between Clarendon Street and Dedham (now Dartmouth) Street accepted, conditionally, and named Beacon Street, July 3, 1865, and Oct. 31, 1865, deed in compliance with latter order, Lib. 867, fol. 239; "part of Mill-dam road known as Beacon Street, between east line of Clarendon Street and division line between Brookline and Boston where it crosses Mill-dam road" (about 990 feet west from West Chester park, now Massachusetts Avenue), laid out, Dec. 7, 1868; no record of laying out or naming the part of the Mill-dam formerly, in Brookline, from crossing of former Brookline boundary line (about 990 feet west from West Chester park), west to its end at junction of the three roads, Brookline Avenue, Beacon Street and Commonwealth (formerly Brighton) Avenue; part of Beacon Street in Brookline, from Harvard Street, east, to the Mill-dam, laid out by Norfolk County Commissioners, June, 1851; part thereof thrown into Boston by annexation to Boston of part of Brookline, east of westerly line of St. Mary's Street, by chapter 374 of Acts of 1870; accepted, Nov. 4,1870; boundary line between Brookline and Boston ,changed from westerly to easterly line of St. Mary's Street in 1872; relocated and building line established from Arlington Street to Massachusetts Avenue, Dec. 14, 1897, under pro- visions of the general law relating to the laying out of highways and of chapter 462, Acts of 1893; building line on the northwest side, between Somerset Street and Bowdoin Street, established Nov. 6) 1900, under authority of chapter 462, Acts of 1893, and acts in amendment or addition thereto; the land between the Street line and the building line above referred to, on the estate at the northerly corner of Freeman place, deeded to the city for Street purposes, May 16, 1901 (Suffolk Deeds, Lib. 2757, fol. 135); the land between the Street line and building line above referred to, on the estate at the westerly corner, of Somerset Street, deeded to the city for Street purposes, April 5, 1902 (Suffolk Deeds, Lib. 2918, fol. 191); the question of publicity of these portions has never been determined. L 374, L 416, L 417, L 647, L862, L 1194, L 1802, L 1803, L 1804, L 1805,L 1964, L 1981, L 1982, L 1983, L 2184, L 2505, L 2759, L 2760, L 2950, L 2951, L 2952,L 2953, L 3687.
*Beacon Street, Bri., 1860; from Brookline boundary line (distant about 440 feet (formerly 520 feet), east, from Chestnut Hill Avenue, .formerly Rockland Street), west, across said Avenue and skirting the Chestnut Hill reservoir, to Newton boundary line, being a continuation through south part of Brighton of Beacon Street from Boston through Brookline; "highway from Centre village in Newton, leading easterly through the towns of Newton and Brighton to the line of the Town of Brookline," established by Middlesex County Commissioners, June 4, 1850; the part in Brighton of said County way named Beacon Street, March 5, 1860; part of said way discontinued and relocated on account of construction of said reservoir, July 12, 1865. L 2102, L 3343, L 3344, t 3345.
*Beacon Street, Bri., 1846-60; name of Avenue Street, being part in Brighton of the Brighton branch of the Mill-dam road, .namely, from Brookline boundary line to Watertown boundary line, changed to Beacon Street, Nov. 1Q, 1846; said road shown as Brighton Avenue or road to Mill-dam on plan dated 1825; lines of said road, part being called "Brighton branch or road" and part "Watertown turnpike," defined and established by indenture between the Commonwealth and Boston and Roxbury Mill Corporation, dated Dec. 30, 1856; name of Beacon Street changed to North Beacon Street, March 5, 1860; highway over Mill-dam road and Watertown turnpike, connecting bridges from boundary line between Brighton and Brookline, through Brighton to boundary line at Arsenal grounds, accepted, Nov. 19, 1868 (Town Records, Vol. 4,.p. 397); name of part of North Beacon Street from former boundary line between Brookline and Brighton, west, to Cambridge Street at Union square changed to Brighton Avenue, Jan. 28, 1884; name of part of Brighton Avenue from said former boundary line, west, to Massachusetts Avenue at Malvern Street changed to Commonwealth Avenue, Jan. 24,1887.
*Beacon-Street bridge, B., 1881; on Beacon Street, over the water course in the Charlesgate; opened for travel, Aug. 17, 1881.
*Beacon-Street bridge, B., 1885; on Beacon Street over: the tracks of the N. Y. C. & H. R. R. R.; original bridge built 1884-85; widened in 1887-88.
*Beale Street, Dor., 1871; from Dorchester Avenue to the Shawmut Branch of the O. C. (now N. Y., N. H. & H.) R, R.; formerly from Dorchester Avenue to Carruth Street; 1aid out from Dorchester Avenue to the Shawmut Branch of the O. C. (now N. Y., N. H. & H.) R. R.; Nov. 30, 11;91. Portion from Carruth Street to Shawmut branch railroad called Radford 1ane in 1899. L 2369.
Bear lane, B., 1796; Beer lane from Middle (now Hanover) Street to Back (now Salem) Street, so called, and also Bridge lane and Bur Lane; name of "Beer Lane or Bridges lane" changed to Richmond Street, Jan. 22, 1800; name of that part of Richmond Street changed to Parmenter Street, Dec. 31, 1870.
Beard's corner, B., 1708; corner of Cow lane and Long lane, now High Street and Federal Street, then so called.
Bearse Avenue, Dor., 1881; from Crest Avenue between Vose Street and the Milton branch railroad, southeast, to Metropolitan Park (Neponset River Reservation); formerly from River View (now Crest) Avenue, northeast, across Butler Street to the marsh; portion northeast of 67 Bearse Avenue included in Neponset River Reservation; in Bromley's atlas of 1884, shown as Bearse Street; in Bromley's atlas of 1894 called Bearse Avenue, and is now so known.
Bearse Street, Dor.; 1884; Bearse Avenue, so called in Bromley's atlas of 1884.
*Beaufort road, W. Rox., 1905; from Centre Street, about 144 feet southeast of Lakeville place, northwest about 467 feet to Board of Survey Street, No. 1346; located on Board of Survey plan, filed, Jan. 4, 1905; laid out, Dec. 30, 1905. L 3863.
Beaumont Avenue, Bri., 1886; from 536 Washington Street, south, next west of Lake Street; now a part of Nonantum road.
*Beaumont Street, Dor., 1877; from 697 Adams Street to 26 Carruth Street; laid out, Oct. 13, 1909. L 4177, L 4178.
*Beaver Street, B., 1857; from 91 Beacon Street, nearly opposite Arlington Street, north, to Back Street; "laid out, July 1,1857, between Beacon Street and River Street, so called (now Back Street) as a public highway, provided the Boston and Roxbury Mill Corporation gives the City of Boston deed of the same." Deed given July 7,1857. Suffolk Deeds, Lib. 720, fol. 263.
Beaver Street, W. Rox., 1874-79; from Eliot Street to Burroughs Street; probably another name for Brewer Street.
*Beck Street, E. B., 1906; from 548 Bremen Street, between Glendon place and Curtis Street, to Chelsea Street; new Street 1aid out with the name of Beck Street, June 6, 1906. L 3878. Becket Street, Dor., 1871; from 3 Van Winkle Street at Dorchester Avenue to 334 Codman Street; authority to open given by Street Commissioners, Nov. 18, 1896.
Beckford court, Chsn., 1856-74; from Main Street, northeast, between Salem Street and School Street; same given Baldwin court in 1854; same called Bickford place on plan 1872; name changed to Linwood place, 1874.
*Beckler Avenue, So. B., 1872; from 134 K Street, east, between East Fifth Street and East Sixth Street; laid out, Feb. 23, 1878. L 1298.
Beckwith Street, Dor., 1909; from the southerly end of Farley Street to the southerly end of Hillsboro' Street; authority to open given by the Street Commissioners, Sept. 8, 1909.
Bedford Avenue, B., 1826~42; from Bedford Street, southwest, near Rowe place (now Chauncy Street); closed.
Bedford court, B., 1844-82; from Bedford Street, south, between Columbia Street and Kingston Street, now closed.
Bedford court, Bedford Place, B., 1821-56; from Bedford Street, northeast, toward Bedford place, Chauncy place; called Bedford court, 1821; Bedford place, 1822; laid out with Chauncy place as a continuous highway from Bedford Street to Summer Street, Jan. 3, 1856, and this new Street named Chauncy Street, Jan. 5, 1856. L 62.
Bedford place, B.; from 30 Bedford Street, nearly opposite Harrison Avenue, northeast; built over in spring of 1909.