Index of All Streets
Bell alley, B., 1708; from Middle (now Hanover) Street to Clark's (now North) square opposite the North Church; Prince Street extended through; July 11, 1833; all that part not coming within the lines of the extension of Prince Street discontinued, Dec.30, 1833.
Bell court, So. B., 1872; from 106 D Street, northwest, to Old Colony Avenue; called Bells court in 1884.
*Bell Street, W. Rox., 1888; from Chestnut Avenue to Lamartine Street; formerly called Cedar Avenue; laid out as Bell Street, Oct. 23, 1888; name changed to Biltmore Street, March 1, 1899. L 2098, L 2168.
Bella Vista, W. Rox., 1849; from South Street, near junction of Forest Hills (now Morton) Street, northwest; now an unnamed way over grounds of the Arnold Arboretum.
Belle Avenue, W. Rox., 1870; from 96 Baker Street, south, adjoining the west side of West Roxbury Branch of B. & P. (now N. Y., N. H. & H.) R. R.; from Gould Street to about 626 feet beyond Rockliffe Street; shown on plan dated Sept. 30, 1892. Suffolk Deeds, Lib. 2087, for. 628.
Bellevue, So. B., 1837; City lands, commonly known as the Farm, on which Houses of Industry, Correction and Reformation were situated, named Bellevue, Feb. 27, 1837.
Bellevue Avenue, W. Rox., 1872; from junction Washington Street and Beech Street to 61 Dudley Avenue; called Bellevue Street in 1874; and Bellevue Avenue in 1890.
Bellevue Avenue, W. Rox., 1860; name of Lyon Street in westerly part of town (from Centre Street by Lyon's) changed to Bellevue Avenue, April 2, 1860; commonly called Bellevue Street.
Bellevue park, W. Rox., 1874; from Robin Street to Adelaide terrace; Bellevue Street extended over it, June 21, 1887.
Bellevue Street, Dor., 1848; from 431 Columbia road at Glendale Street, across Quincy Street to 70 Barry Street; formerly from Bowdoin Street (at Eaton square) to Columbia Street (now Columbia road); located, Feb. 21, 1848; name of part from junction with Quincy Street, which is a continuation of said Quincy Street, to Bowdoin Street, changed to Quincy Street, March 1, 1886; part between Quincy Street and Kane Street laid out (over a part of Bellevue terrace), June 19, 1889; authority to open from Kane Street to Barrington (now Hamilton) Street, given by Street Commissioners, Oct. 13, 1896; laid out from Kane Street to Hamilton Street, Jan. 8, 1907; extended from Hamilton Street, southwest, then south to Barry Street on Board of Survey plan, filed, March 1, 1907. L 790, L 1558, L 2137, L 2980, L 3994. *Bellevue Street, W. Rox., 1860; from 1944 Centre Street to West Rox- bury Parkway; formerly from Centre Street to Adelaide terrace; Street from Centre Street by Lyon's named Lyon Street, May 9, 1825; same shown as Bellevue Street in 1848; name of Lyon Street changed to Bellevue Avenue, April 2, 1860, but Street commonly called Bellevue Street thereafter; extended from Oriole Street to a private way called Adelaide terrace, in part over a private way called Bellevue park, June 21, 1887; part now included in West Roxbury Parkway. L 1054, L 2805.
*Bellevue Street, Rox., 1862; from Francis Street, at junction with Riverway, to Brookline Avenue, at junction with Riverway; from Pilgrim Street (now Longwood Avenue), southwest, 1849; called Cedar Street from Francis (formerly Longwood) Street to Elm Street (now Longwood Avenue), 1850-57; same part called Bellevue Avenue, 1862; accepted, conditionally, Sept. 28, 1863; Bellevue Street extended from Longwood Avenue to Brookline Avenue, over private way called Maple Avenue, Feb, 14, 1887. L 1976, L 1977.
Bellevue Street, W. Rox.; from junction Washington Street and Beech Street to Dudley Avenue; now called Bellevue Avenue.
Bellevue-Street bridge, Rox., 1893; from Bellevue Street in Roxbury, across Muddy river in Riverway, to Netherlands road in Brookline; built by the Park Departments of Boston and Brookline in 1893, and maintained by them jointly.
Bellevue terrace, Dor., 1886; from Quincy Street; laid out as Stanley Street, Kane Street and Bellevue Street, June 19, 1889. L 2137.
*Bellflower Street, Dor., 1884; from 777 Dorchester Avenue to 136 Boston Street; laid out, May 8, 1894. L 2613.
Bellingham place, B., 1885; from 85 Revere Street, north, between West Cedar Street and Revere-Street place; called Sherman place, 1847 May-Street court, 1849; Revere-Street court, 1858; Hill place or Hill court, 1867.
Bellows place, Dor., 1851; from 2195 Dorchester Avenue, between Richmond Street and Codman Street, west, to Bellows Street (in the extension of the same).
Bellows place, Chsn., 1854; from 20 Walnut Street, northwest, formerly called Dennis place.
Bellows Street, Dor., 1903; from Avondale Street, easterly, to Bellows place (in the extension of the same).
Bells court, So. B.; from D. Street, northwest, to Old Colony Avenue.
Belmont Avenue, B.; from Clinton Street, north, to Richmond Street; between Essex Avenue and Revere Avenue; now built over.
Belmont Avenue, W. Rox., 1849; from Florence Street, at Mt. Hope station, to Poplar Street; called Alpine Avenue in 1847; Belmont Avenue in 1843-49; Brown's Avenue in 1855; accepted as Brown Avenue, March 29, 1869.
Belmont court, B., 1857; from Belmont (now 120 Oliver) Street, northeast, between High Street and Purchase Street, nearly opposite Lane place; not in directory after 1868, and apparently now a court without a name.
Belmont place, E. B., 1863; from 122 Everett Street, northeast, between Cottage Street and Lamson Street.
*Belmont square, E. B., 1833; between Seaver, Sumner, Webster and Lamson Streets; laid out and accepted as a public square, April 4, 1853, and deed passed April 5,1853.
Belmont Street, B., 1844; from Washington place (now Fort
Hill square) to Broad Street (now Atlantic Avenue); called Gibbs lane, 1708;
name changed to Belmont Street, Sept. 23, 1844, included in and name changed
to Oliver Street, April 21, 1868. L 298, L 299, L 300, L 301.
Belmont Street, Rox., 1848; from Ruggles Street to Vernon Street, near Cabot Street; called Suffolk Street, 1830; laid out as Haskins Street, July 31, 1886. L 1925.
*Belmont Street, Chsn., 1845; from 295 Bunker Hill Street to 380 Medford Street, between Webster Street and North Mead Street; laid out, July 23, 1861.
*Belmore terrace, W. Rox., 1897; from 14 Boylston Street to Oakview (formerly Boylston) terrace; the southerly branch of Boylston terrace laid out and name changed to Belmore terrace; Sept. 23, 1897. L 2898, L 3448.
Belvidere court, B., 1902; from 57 and 59 Belvidere Street, south.
*Belvidere Street, B. and Rox.; from 152 Massachusetts Avenue to
286 West Newton Street, near junction of Falmouth Street; laid out from Dalton Street to West Newton Street, Sept. 10, 1897; laid out across lands and location of B. & A. R. R. under authority of chapter 323 of the Acts of Legislature of 1891, and amendments thereto, and chapter 337 of the Acts of 1898, Aug. 23, 1898; laid out from West Chester park (now Massachusetts Avenue) to Dalton Street, June 7, 1890. L 2230, L 2311, L 2901, L 3019, L 3633.
Bendall's dock, B.; town dock, so called in 1646. See Suffolk Deeds, Lib. 1, fol. 71.
*Bendall's lane, B., 1882; from 53 North Market Street to 13 North Street; a public footway; City Solicitor decided, Sept. 23, 1879, that it was public; named, Feb. 27, 1882. L 2707.
*Benedict Street, Chsn., 1887; from 179 Rutherford Avenue to Lawrence Street; Edmands court laid out from Rutherford Avenue, and extended to Lawrence Street with name of Benedict Street, July 2, 1887. L 1999.
Benevento Street, E. B., 1895; from Wauwatosa Avenue to Waldemar Street. .
*Bennet Avenue, B., 1839; from North Bennet Street to Prince Street; School alley, 1732; Grammar alley, 1795; Prince-Street Avenue, 1833; called Bennet Avenue, 1839; called Bennet-Street Avenue in 1846; Bennet Avenue deeded to Town of Boston by deed dated Jan.18, 1714, recorded in Suffolk Reg., Lib. 53, fol. 155, and conveys "a piece or strip of land lately taken up by the Selectmen of the said town for and towards the making of a new way or alley from Prince Street to Bennet Street"; abandoned; taken into North End Playground, Jan. 1, 1901. L 2959, L 3204, L 3522.
Bennet place, B., 1816; from 40 Bennet (or South Bennet) Street, north, near Harrison Avenue; was sometimes called South Bennet place; in a deed dated 1805 mentioned as "a passageway 22 feet wide always to remain open." Suffolk Deeds, Lib. 214, fol. 84,85.
Bennet place, B., 1834; from 8 North Bennet Street, southwest, near Hanover Street, called North Bennet place, 1858.
*Bennet Street, B., 1708; from Middle (now Hanover) Street to Back (now Salem) Street; commonly called North Bennet Street.
*Bennet Street, B., 1732; from 780 Washington Street to 173 Harrison Avenue; from Orange (now Washington) Street, opposite Harvard (now Hollis Street, to the sea, 1732; named by Selectmen, July 4,1788; extended to Front Street (how Harrison Avenue), 1805; sometimes called South Bennet Street.. L 4064.
Bennet-Street Avenue, B., 1846; same as Bennet Avenue; now built over. Bennett place, E.B., 1875; from 24 White Street, north, nearly opposite Marion Street.
*Bennett Street, Bri., 1858; from 363 Market Street, west, crossing Parsons Street; laid out from Market Street to Parsons Street, Feb.19, 1858 accepted, March 8, 1858; named, March 5, 1860; extended west from Parsons Street, July16, 1885. L 1871, L 2015.
Bennington place, E. B., 1848-49; from Bennington Street; not identified.
*Bennington Street, E. B., 1834;. from 20 Central square to boundary line between Boston and Revere in Belle Isle inlet; formerly from Central square to Walley Street, on Breed's Island; on plan of East Boston Cemetery, dated April 17, 1846, shown as Point Shirley road, laid out from Chelsea Street to a point about 260 feet from southeast line of land of Eastern R. R. Co., Aug. 7, 1848; to Swift Street, Aug. 7,1848; accepted from Central square to Chelsea Street, April. 26, 1858; triangle at Junction of Chelsea Street, Nov. 1, 1858; at Junction of Bremen Street, July 23, 1862; extended from Swift Street to Wordsworth Street, Sept. 2, 1885; extended from Wordsworth Street to Saratoga Street, on Breed's Island, Nov. 8, 1886; extended from Saratoga Street to Ashley Avenue (now Walley Street), July 3, 1888; widened to 100 feet from Chelsea Street, and extended over portions of Walley Street, Leyden Street and Beachmont Avenue to Belle Isle inlet at Revere boundary line, June 27, 1899; name of portion of Walley Street, from a line drawn from the northerly corner of Walley Street and Blackinton Street to the intersection of Ashley Street and Bennington Street, southeasterly to Bennington Street, changed to Bennington Street, March 1, 1904; grade revised between Bremen Street and Orleans Street (elevating the Street over the track of the B. & A. R. R.), Sept. 27,1904, by a special commission appointed by the Superior Court under authority of chapter 390, Acts of 1899, and amendments thereto. L 689, L 690, L 691, L 692, L 971, L 1880, L 1881, L 1882, L 1960, L 1961,L 2072, L 3131, L 3132, L 3133, L 3134, L 3135, L 3136, L 3137, L 3138, L 3139, L 3140, L 3141, L 3720, L 3802, L 4077, L 4078, L 4079, L 4080,L 4081, L 4082,L 4083, L 4084, L 4085, L 4086, L 4087.
Bennington-Street bridge, E. B., 1906; on Bennington Street, over the tracks of the N. Y. C. & H. R. R. R.; built by the B. & A. R. R. Co. under authority of chapter 390 of the Acts of the Legislature of 1899; work completed, July 7, 1906.
Bennington-Street bridge, E. B. (Breed's Island), 1889-1902; on Bennington Street (Breed's Island), over the tracks of the B., R. B. & L. R. R.; the original bridge was built for the purpose of carrying Leyden Street over the tracks of the railroad, by the City of Boston, under authority of an order of the City Council approved Jan. 26, 1889; Bennington Street was laid out over Leyden Street at a much greater width and in 1902 a new bridge was built beside the old.
Benson Street, Bri., 1897; from 35 Litchfield Street to 32 Antwerp Street.
Bentham road, Dor., 1907; from 49 Draper Street, opposite Longfellow Street, to Robinson Avenue; shown plan dated May 2, 1907. Suffolk Deeds, Lib. 3236, fol. 33.
*Bentley Street, Bri.; from 41 Henshaw Street to 22 Sparhawk Street; authority to open given by Street Commissioners, June12, 1893; laid out, Nov. 22, 1897. L 2933.
*Benton Street, Rox., 1859; from 983 Tremont Street to Columbus Avenue; shown as an unnamed Street in 1849; laid out, Nov.12,1908. L 4109
Berkeley court, Dor., 1874; from Belden Street (formerly Berkeley place), near Dudley Street, southeast; now Belden court. Berkeley place, Dor., 1868; from Stoughton (now Dudley) Street, north- east, crossing end of Hamlet Street; laid out as Belden Street, Sept. 2, 1884. L 1813.
Berkeley square, B.; parts of Boylston Street and Newbury Street, between Berkeley Street and Clarendon Street, in front and rear of grounds of Institute of Technology and Natural History rooms, so called at one time.
*Berkeley Street, B., 1858; from 497 Tremont Street, opposite Dover Street, to Beacon Street; called Avenue I. on plans of Back Bay lands, dated 1854; laid out from Tremont Street to Chandler Street, April 7, 1868; laid out from Chandler Street to land of B. & P. (now N. Y., N. H. & H.) R. R. Co., Oct. 27,1868; laid out from Stanhope Street to Providence Street, Nov. 17, 1868; laid out from Providence Street to Beacon Street, July 24, 1873. L 189t, L 354, L 374, L 410, L 447,L 3342, L 3737,1, 3877, L 3988. .
*Berkeley-Street bridge, B., 1869; on Berkeley Street, between Chandler Street and Columbus Avenue, over tracks of the N. Y. C. & H. R. R. R. and B. & P. Div. of the N. Y., N. H. & H. R. R.; the bridge over the tracks of the N. Y. C. & H. R. R. R. was originally built for the Boston Water Power Company and by them turned over to the City of Boston in 1869; rebuilt in 1891; the bridge over the tracks of the N. Y., H. N. & H. R. R. was built by the railroad company in 1899 under authority of chapter 516, Acts of the Legislature of 1896.
*Berkeley-Street bridge, B., 1869; on Berkeley Street, near and east of the end of St. James Avenue, over tracks of the B. & P. Div. of the N. Y., N. H. &H. R. R.; built by the B. &P. R. R. Corp., 1861-1863; grade of Street revised, Dec. 27, 1900; work on filling under bridge begun April 19, 1901; bridge closed to public travel and work of removing superstructure begun September, 1901; Street construction on new grade finished Aug. 4, 1902. L 3342.
Berkshire Street, Dor.; from Westmoreland Street to Beaumont Street.
Berkshire Street, B.; shown on Hales's map of 1814, parallel to and west of Shawmut Avenue; also shown as extending from Camden Street., northeasterly; shown on "Plan of the Neck Lands" belonging to the City of Boston, and dated May 28, 1828; location never adopted.
Berlin Street, B., 1843; from East Canton Street to Hamburg Street; made a part of Mystic Street, 1845.
Berlin Street, B., 1857; from Pleasant Street to Church Street; called Pleasant-Street court, 1829; named Berlin Street, 1857; name changed to Tennyson Street, April 20, 1869. L 387, L 397.
Berlin Street, Rox., 1858; from Columbus Avenue, a short distance north of Davenport Street to Walpole Street; part of included in the extension of Columbus Avenue, Jan. 4, 1895; the remaining portion abandoned by an indenture made between the owners, June 10, 1899. (See Suffolk Deeds, Lib. 2613, fol. 180.) L 2681, L 2682.
Bernard Street, Dor., 1884; from 144 Harvard Street to 135 Norfolk Street; first opened by abuttors from Harvard Street, over an unnamed passageway (about 815 feet) and through private land to Cemetery lane; at this time it was proposed to extend the Street over Cemetery lane, or Street, or Burying-place lane to Norfolk Street, and has been so designated by the. Assessors since 1884; Bromley's atlas of 1884 and deeds of abutting property show Bernard Street as extending to Cemetery lane; Bromley's atlas of 1889 and since show the Street through to Norfolk Street; from Norfolk Street to the railroad shown as Bernard Street on plan dated March 6, 1897, and filed in Suff. Reg., Lib. 2609, fol. 295; the portions of Cemetery lane and Bernard Street for about 500 feet northwesterly from the N. E. R. R. shown on plan dated Oct. 1, 1872 (Suff. Reg., Lib. 1165, fol. 155), as a part of Warner Avenue (now Street); laid out from Harvard Street to Talbot Avenue, Aug. 31, 1897; laid out from Talbot Avenue to the N. E. R. R., Jan. 21, 1904. L 2882, L 2883, L 3272, L 3273, L 3719.
Berners square, Rox.; junction Berners Street, Bellevue Street, Wood- stock Street and Plymouth Street; dedicated for a square to forever remain open, by David Sears in will, dated Feb. 27, 1871 (for plan see Suffolk Deeds, Lib. 1370, fol. 210); taken by the City, May 20, 1901; has been erroneously called Bernier square.
Berners Street, Rox.; 1874; from Brookline Avenue, northwest, by the southwesterly side of Berners square to the Riverway; formerly from Brookline Avenue to Brookline line: part between Brookline Avenue and Plymouth Street called Leyden Street in 1849; portion included in the taking for the Riverway, April 30, 1890; Berners Street erroneously called Bernier Street; correction made in Assessors' books for 1905.
Bernice Street, Dor., from Preston Street to Ashland Street.
Bernier square, Rox.; Berners square, erroneously called Bernier square.
Bernier Street, Rox., 1874; from Brookline Avenue, northwest, by the southwesterly side of Berners square to the Riverway; formerly from Brookline Avenue crossing end of Plymouth Street to Brook- line line; part between Brookline Avenue and Plymouth Street, called Leyden Street in 1849; portion included in taking for the Riverway, April 30, 1890; Berners Street has been erroneously called Bernier Street.
Bernier-Street footbridge, Rox., 1893; over the Bridle path in the Riverway, near Berners Street; a masonry arch bridge built by the Park Department in 1893.
Bernier-Street footbridge, Rox. and Brookline, 1893; across Muddy river in Riverway, near Berners Street; a masonry arch bridge built by the Park Departments of Boston and Brookline, and maintained by them jointly.
Berry lane, B., 1733; from Leverett Street, east; closed by erection of the almshouse in 1803.
Berry Street, B., 1803; from Federal Street to Atkinson (now Congress) Street; called Bury Street, 1732; sometimes called Bury lane; named Barracks lane by Selectmen in 1788, but name not used; called Berry Street, 1803; name changed to Channing Street, July 14, 1845.
*Berry Street, Dor. and W. Rox., 1840; from 846 Canterbury Street to Calvary Cemetery at Sutton Street; formerly from Ashland Street by Calvary and Mt. Hope cemeteries to Canterbury Street nearly opposite Mt. Hope Avenue (now Street); named in Dorchester from Back (now Harvard) Street to Roxbury line, March 11,1840 (West Roxbury was set off from Roxbury, May 24, 1851); part in West Roxbury called South Short Street in 1849; part of, in Dorchester, near West Roxbury line, which runs northeasterly, called Pain's lane in 1855; part from Back (now Harvard) Street running northwesterly to beginning of Pain's lane included in Oakland Street, September, 1856; date of naming of present Street, which comprises Pain's lane and South Short Street, unknown; part between Sutton Street and entrance to Calvary Cemetery discontinued, July 6,1892. L 1325, L 2409, L 1686, L 2489.