This view is of the Public Garden was probably taken from Arlington Street Church in the 1870s. The back of the card notes:
"The Public Garden is situated in the western part of the city, and is separated from the Common by Charles Street. It contains an area of twenty-four acres, of which three are occupied by a pond of irregular shape, spanned by a massive bridge of stone and iron. [ed. note: one of the first suspension bridges in the United States, apparently].
The original level of the Public Garden was much below that of neighboring streets, and the land was filled in, at an expense of about seventy thousand dollars.
It is laid out with irregular walks, bordered with flowers and ornamental shrubs; it is adorned with fountains, vases, and statues of bronze and marble.
A spacious greenhouse is filled, during the winter, with choice flowers.
An equestrian statue of Washington faces Commonwealth Avenue, at the westerly side of the garden. It was designed by Thomas Ball, and was erected in 1869, at a cost of forty-two thousand dollars.
In the basin of one of the fountains, stands a marble statue of Venus, presented to the city by J. D. Bates, Esq.
This garden must ever remain as a park and garden for the public."
The Library of Congress's American Memory Collection has some wonderful panoramic photos of the Public Garden. Click here and search for "Boston public garden"